7/4-5/08 Hudson Canyon Tuna, Tilefish, Mahi

We had a great group of guys out with us for an open boat overnighter and I hope to fish with them again in the future!!

Headed to the Hudson on Friday morning in a leftover swell from Thursday’s southwest wind.

We decided on dropping down for tilefish to start the trip off but found a bit too much drift.. We got the the grounds and had a south-to-north current and a ssw wind which combined to about 1.4-1.7 knots of drift.

We threw 28-36 ounces on and went to town.. In less than ideal conditions for deep dropping we boated 6 tiles to about 18 pounds.

The trolling proved to be tough. We headed down the west wall and out to the southwest corner, working some bait along the way, but didn’t pull any bites.

Trolled across to the east side just before dark and had a single bite on a blue/white sea witch/ballyhoo combo on the long rigger.. We fought the fish for 10 minutes before pulling the hook. The bite came at the tip of the 500 fathom line in between the NE and SW corners.

Set up for sharking and had a blue shark swim right up to the chum bag around midnight. We pitched a bait, fought and released it in short order. This would be the only bite of the night.

Unfortunately, we lost about an hour of effective fishing to a t-storm that came through around 3am. High winds(accompanied by sideways rain) caused the drift to increase to over 2.5 knots for a short period and it was nearly impossible to keep the baits down.

We got up on the troll about 4 miles northeast of the 100 square and had a bite on a 9″ canyon runner rainbow squid bar before we got the third line in the water.

We had another shot of three yellowfin come up around 6:30am. Two of the three fish hit skirted ballyhoo and one hit a green machine spreader bar.

Picked up a double header of gaffer dolphin just off high flyer. both fish ate skirted ballyhoo and both fish were over 20 pounds.

Around 8:00am we had our troll bite of the day, a single yellowfin. Our largest of the trip, this fish hit a blue/white sea witch over a ballhoo trolled from the long rigger.

With the tile grounds on the way home we stopped for a few more drifts. Unfortunately the wind was against the current and it made it tough to stay untangled.. We managed one more tilefish before deciding to run the 78 miles home.

Here are a few shots from the day: